Tuesday, June 3, 2008

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

I finally got down to “the Grave”, or actually Neptune, for at least an overnight. It was a fitting end to two wonderful weeks that were completely “1040 Free”!

I drove down Saturday morning, stopping for breakfast at a diner on Route 9 South. When I got to Ocean Grove I found that it was the day of the Giant Spring Flea Market on Ocean Pathway. As a result just about every parking space in town was taken. Instead of sitting on the boardwalk and reading comic books I sat on a bench alongside Fletcher Lake at the South End border and read.

I also checked out the Asbury Park boardwalk, but there was much construction going on to the various buildings and storefronts. I did discover that Tony Bennett would be doing a benefit concert for the Boys and Girls Club of Monmouth County at the Paramount Theatre on Saturday, June 28th.

It started to rain so I headed to the Crystal Inn at the Routes 35+66 circle, where I had booked a room through hotel.com, to change clothes.

The major reason for this trip was to see the Two River Theatre Company’s production of the original musical MARK TWAIN’S A MURDER, A MYSTERY & A MARRIAGE, with book and lyrics by TRTC Artistic Director Aaron Posner (who also directed) and music by James Sugg, in Red Bank – the final production of the company’s 2007-2008 Theatre Series.

I bought my ticket for the 3:00 pm matinee “at the door” ($38.00) and got an excellent 6th row center seat – I couldn’t have asked for a better one.

The bluegrass musical, which had its world premiere in April 2006 at the Delaware Theatre Company, takes place in Deer Lick, Missouri. It is based on a short story written by
Mark Twain in 1876. The small cast, which included an original member of the 50’s singing group The Diamonds (Little Darlin’), did a great job in a very entertaining show. Two thumbs up! They even managed to plug the new 2008-2009 season subscription and advise the audience to turn off cell phones and refrain from opening candy wrappers during the show as part of the opening number.

For dinner I decided to try the newly opened “Old Man Rafferty’s”, which is in the renovated Steinbach Building on Cookman Avenue in Asbury Park. I had a good Meat Loaf dinner and treated myself to Oreo Cookie Cheesecake.

After dining I headed to the Beach Cinema in Bradley Beach, a true “old-fashioned” small town movie theatre, for the 7:00 PM showing of IRON MAN. The ticket price had increased since I last visited – it was now $5.75!

After checking out on Sunday morning I headed to Ocean Grove, where the parking was back to normal, and breakfast of Oatmeal and Pancakes at “The Starving Artist”. I read the paper on the Boardwalk before taking in what turned out to be a private showing of the new INDIANA JONES movie at the multiplex on Route 35 at 11:00 AM.

I had considered taking in the Sunday 3:00 pm matinee of the world premiere of the Billy Van Zandt (brother of rocker Steve Van Zandt and husband of Adrienne Barbeau) and Jane Milmore farce WRONG WINDOW at Brookdale Community College, but decided to head home to my hungry cat instead.

Billy and Jane have written tons of such slapstick farces, a la tv’s THREE’S COMPANY (although not as good). Actually they have written one basic farce and changed the characters and titles some 20+ times. I have seen several of their plays at the Ritz Company Playhouse in Hawley PA, and will probably be able to see this one there in a year or two.

Now that I am back I must take up the GD extensions again, and hopefully have them all done by the end of June!

TTYL

No comments: