Wednesday, January 2, 2008

IS ANYBODY THERE? DOES ANYBODY CARE?

On November 30th I posted the first ANYTHING BUT TAXES online trivia contest.

Here is what I asked:

(1) What was my source material for the titles of the November (and future) posting to ANYTHING BUT TAXES?

(2) One of the titles strays a bit from the source material, although there is a definite link. Identify the title and explain why it is different.

I did not receive a single entry!

I don’t think my questions were that hard. I guess you guys aren’t interested in such a contest – so it will be a long time before I post another one.

For anyone who is interested, here are the answers:

(1) Each title of a posting to ANYTHING BUT TAXES from its beginning through the end of December was either the title of or a lyric from a musical number that appeared in a Broadway musical.

For example - the title of my initial post, “
WILLKOMMEN, BIENVENUE, WELCOME!”, was from CABARET, as was “"WELL, THAT’S WHAT COMES FROM TOO MUCH PILLS AND LIQUOR” (from the title song).EVERYONE WILL LOVE YOU IF YOU BE A SANTA CLAUS!” is from the song “Be A Santa” from SUBWAYS ARE SLEEPING. The title of the post introducing the contest, “WILL EVERYONE HERE KINDLY STEP TO THE REAR AND LET A WINNER LEAD THE WAY” is from HOW NOW DOW JONES. And “A LITTLE THIS-A AND A LITTLE THAT-A – WITH THE EMPHASIS ON THE LATTA” is a song from DAMN YANKEES.

(2) The one posting title that strayed a bit was “
ONCE, YES, ONCE IS DELICIOUS – BUT TWICE WOULD BE VICIOUS, OR JUST REPETITIOUS". This was from the song “I Never Do Anything Twice” written by Stephen Sondheim - not for a Broadway musical but for the Sherlock Holmes movie THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION. The link to Broadway is, of course, Stephen Sondheim.

It has been fun searching for Broadway song titles or lyrics to use as the titles for my posts, but not always easy. Since I am becoming much busier as I prepare for the upcoming tax filing season I will take a break from this practice. While I will attempt to continue to try to use song titles or lyrics for my titles, they will not always be from Broadway.
.
Hey, can anyone out there tell me what Broadway musical had a song with the lyrics “
LBJ TOOK THE IRT DOWN TO 4th STREET USA. WHEN HE GOT THERE WHAT DID HE SEE? THE YOUTH OF AMERICA ON LSD!", the title of my November 23rd posting on acronyms? Same prize!

TTYL

2 comments:

TheFuture said...

The musical with the lyrics "LBJ took the IRT" is from the musical HAIR

Robert D Flach said...

Chris-

Congratulations! I knew you would know the answer. STUFF AND SUCH is on its way via email.

Now, what show is I LOVE A FILM CLICHE from?

TWTP