Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A LITTLE THIS-A AND A LITTLE THAT-A – WITH THE EMPHASIS ON THE LATTA!

+ The production of “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” by John Bishop at the Bickford Theatre (actually in Morristown and not Madison) on Sunday was entertaining, but…..

The set, a library in a Westchester NY mansion with multiple secret passages, was excellent. The actors were all well cast professionals. I was familiar with the director, Deirdre Yates, from her past work with the Seton Hall Summer Theatre-In-The-Round program, and she is no stranger to comedy or mystery. The script contained a lot of witty dialogue and “inside” theatre and movie jokes, and the plot, involving a serial killer, Nazi saboteurs, undercover agents, and Broadway show people, was relatively plausible and its unfolding handled well. It is just that it somehow seemed a bit slow, particularly the First Act. I really can’t put my finger on it.

I was a bit surprised at the number of empty seats in the audience for the performance, especially as it is not a large theatre like the Paper Mill.

I must point out one glaring historical FU in the script. The radio broadcast that opened the play and set up a part of the plot referred to the FBI and the CIA. While the FBI was around, there was no CIA in 1940. The CIA grew out of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), a military intelligence agency that itself was not established until June 1942.
.
+ I was looking something up on the Internet Broadway Database site, which provides records of productions from the beginnings of New York theatre until today, when I noticed a “Born On This Date” listing among the items in the right hand margin.
.
I looked up November 18 and discovered that I share the birthday with W.S Gilbert (of “…and Sullivan), Imogene Coca, Johnny Mercer Brenda Vaccaro (who I saw on Broadway in HOW NOW DOW JONES – I seem to recall she spent most of the show dressed in only a towel), and Walter Bobbie (who I saw as Nicely Nicely Johnson in the Nathan Lane revival of GUYS AND DOLLS – his last show as an actor before he went on to become a director). No one on the list was born in the same year. An impressive group!
.
+ Just thought I would let those of you who are interested know that the annual Jonathan Schwartz radio “Christmas Party”, a tradition since 1970, will be broadcast on Sunday, December 16th on WNYC.FM – New York Public Radio at 93.9 on the FM dial. Jonathan’s Christmas shows always have a very eclectic collection of musical, literary and other guests.

+ I discovered the BankDeals Blog site in a book on the “financial blogosphere”. This blog will keep you updated on the latest deals and news with banks and credit unions. lt lets you know which banks have the best interest rates and who offers the best sign-up bonuses.

I have been telling clients and readers for a while now that online banks offer much higher interest liquid savings alternatives to the pitiful interest offered by local “brick and mortar” banks. My family and I have online savings accounts with ING Direct, Amboy Direct and Emigrant Direct. Many online banks have incentive programs that will give existing accountholders a “referral fee”, and the person you refer a “signing bonus”, for recommending new customers. If you are interested in opening an account with ING, Amboy or Emigrant let me know and I will refer you.

I think I will include the BankDeals Blog in my special report SURFING USA the next time I update it. FYI, SURFING USA is a compilation of useful, interesting and humorous sites I have come across during my travels on the web. The report identifies and describes links to free online calculators, sites on Personal Finance, Tax Planning and Preparation, and the World of Entertainment, as well as websites that are Just For Fun. For only $1.00 I will send you SURFING USA as a “pdf” email attachment.

+ The “Think Smart” page of this past Sunday’s USA Weekend reported on the top ten names for cats. They are, in order, Max, Chloe, Lucy, Tigger, Tiger, Smokey, Oliver, Bella, Sophie, and Princess.

I have had multiple cats, as many as 4 at a time, since my teens. Their names have included Boo, Feeble, George, Sebastian and Irving (from a line in a play “Butterflies Are Free”, a production of which I was working the lights for at the time), Sam, Thelma and Louise (named by my sister – I would probably have chosen June and Louise myself), Sneezey, and, my current roommate, Nosey. I have also shared accommodations with a Fatty and a Nutsie (both cats).

+ Give me a break! Last Sunday’s edition of the NPR game show “Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!” reported that Australian shopping mall Santa’s are being told to no longer say “Ho! Ho! Ho!” because it could be offensive to women.

+ I will be spending Thanksgiving with my sister and parents at mater and pater's assisted living facility. Last year we ended up having Thanksgiving dinner from Dunkin' Donuts (don’t ask), so this year we will be having our holiday meal mid-day at the facility.

TTYL

No comments: